How Much Should a Small Business Website Cost?
If you're shopping around for web designers, you've probably found a range of prices - and an incredible amount of variation in the web designer landscape. There are freelancers able to work for $2,000, and agencies that quote you $30,000 for the same project. Is a web agency's solution 15 x times better? That will depend on the agency, but you'll be exposed to far more risk with the $2,000 contractor. You get what you pay for. So, how do you find the best solution for the right price?
We've used our years of experience designing, building, and promoting websites to develop this quick guide to website pricing. We hope it helps you gauge the responses from the various agencies and freelancers offering website design in Calgary.
- Domain Name: ($10-35/year and up); premium names can run into the thousands
- Web Hosting: ($150-250/year and up); depends on site traffic and hosting services
- Website Planning and Management: (20-100 hours and up) At least 15% of your budget
- Supporting Services (copywriters, etc.): (5-80 hours and up) Variable based on your preparation
- Web Design and Development: (30-250 hours and up) Around 50% of your budget ~ hourly rates can vary considerably based on freelancer experience, agency size, etc.
Your budget might break down along these lines
- Planning: 15%
- Interface design: 25%
- Programming: 25% - 40%
- Project management: 20%
Updating your website is a significant factor in determining how successful you will be. Blog posts, new products, and maintenance will keep your site relevant.
- Annual Maintenance: ($250-$5000/year); depends on who updates it, the frequency and significance of changes made
- Online Marketing : ($100-$5000/month and up); depends on extent of services
Scope creep... it's in the details
The following will influence the final cost of your website. Consider these factors when setting your budget:
- Do you have a basic plan - or a rough vision?
- Do you need any branding or a logo?
- How well do you understand your business message (value proposition)?
- Do you understand the website objectives? (e.g. increase lead generation, online sales, etc.)
- How will you measure the success of your objectives? (ROI)
- Do you know your audience and what they want?
- Are there any dependencies or deadlines that will affect launch? (websites can take 2 to 5 months to complete)
- How much content do you have ready? How much more will need to be created?
- Do you need a photo shoot or stock images?
- Do you need your website to integrate with existing technology? (Salesforce, CRM)
- Do you need a shopping cart / online payment processing integrated on your site?
- Do you have product descriptions and shipping weights ready?
- Do you need to rank high in search engines - SEO (search engine optimisation) services or PPC (pay-per-click) advertising?
How much does a website cost?
All told, a reasonably funded small business website can be expected to fall somewhere in the $7,500 to $25,000 range (or more), take 2 - 4 months to complete, and will definitely require maintenance of some form to be successful.
We invite you to connect with us - get in touch!